First, and perhaps the most revolutionary, is that the planes can be customized. There are up to 9,160 different variations. Here are just a few of the options:
- Size: The sizes of planes available include a No. 4, No. 4-1/2, No. 5, No. 5-1/2, and No. 7
- Frogs: You can order a custom frog angle from 40° to 65° in ½° increments for only an extra $10. 40°, 45°, and 55° frogs will be stocked as standard items.
- Totes (Handles): The totes are available in two styles and three sizes (small, medium, and large). They offer a traditional style of handle or the newer style found on other Veritas planes.
- Knobs: Three styles of knobs are available in short, medium, or tall heights.
- Iron (Blade): Choose from O1 steel or PM-V11 in a choice of bevel angles
- The speed with which the Norris-style adjuster advances the iron is yet another choice
The new line of handplanes is more of a premium line of planes. Their other planes won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. I’ll be anxious to get my hands on one and give them a try.